Have you really taken the time to identity your readers. First, take time to analyze. There's lots of great services out there (Google Analytics, Crazy Egg, Woopra) who can help you get this information:
- Who is visiting your site now?
- Who is your competitor targeting?
- Who is the leader in the industry and what kind of people read that site?
- Who do you want to read your site?
Once you've got a clear idea of your data, don't just sit there, talk to them. Survey your readers by emaiing them, polling in your blogs, or just contacting past customers. Here are the questions you want to ask:
- What's the most critical thing you need?
- How do you want the information presented?
- Ho are you getting the content you need right now?
- Do they think you are a legitimate source for this content?
After you've gotten these answers from your own and other people's readers prioritize the readers you want:
- List potential customers (those you want, and those you discovered)
- Then Prioritize them: first by who is reading you most right now, and then by who you want to market to
- Using the desired list, narrow your scope to the top 2-3 readers
How do you analyze traffic and try to reach your target audience?